[nycbug-talk] Considering BSD-based desktop

Matt Juszczak matt at atopia.net
Tue Sep 1 14:35:28 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I used to run with FreeBSD 4.x with xfce.  It worked quite well, but I
ended up switching to Ubuntu 7.x, which is now end of life.  I'm
considering the upgrade to Ubuntu 9.x, but would really really like that
FreeBSD based system back.  What I didn't like that made me switch was:

  - Lack of ability to easily get flash running
  - Lack of tethering support with Verizon
     (I have a blackberry I use to tether, and got it working in Ubuntu)
  - Lack of ease to play DVD's.

Like FreeBSD for servers, Ubuntu sort of just "works" as a desktop
machine.  But I do miss the ports collection and all the fun FreeBSDisms
that make me love the OS.

Can anyone recommend a setup they've used that works well and could
potentially allow me to especially get #2 working? (Tethering with Verizon
Blackberry).

Thanks!

-Matt