[nycbug-talk] Advanced UNIX Basics Management

Okan Demirmen okan at demirmen.com
Mon Sep 28 16:37:39 EDT 2009

On Mon 2009.09.28 at 16:19 -0400, Isaac Levy wrote:
> >> - Memory
> >>   - stats/info facilities
> >>     + ps(1) (flags and some handy awk parsing)
> >>     + top(1) (briefly, everyone knows top...)
> >>     + swapinfo(8)
> >>   - management tools
> >>     - swapon(8), swapoff(8)
> >>
> > linux just trust free + buffers + cache.  Get the devs started early
> > on understanding linux never reclaims cache.
>
> Well, if we were writing C apps, yes- requisite- but this may not be
> so necessary in our java-heavy shop- unless you could enlighten me?  I
> could be missing a big point, from my vantage point in userland...

being a java-centric shop, they need to really understand the java
virtual machine (especially the one they are using), which means
understanding a bit of real internals - it has surprised me how many
"mini-tutorials" are required to explain such concepts; and know what
the effects of certain options behave on all the OS's the vm's are
supposed to run.