[nycbug-talk] Cron management

Matt Juszczak matt at atopia.net
Tue Sep 29 13:07:40 EDT 2009

Hi All,

I have a setup that is using puppet for system management/configuration,
including crons.  It works well, except that many of the devs have
requested access to add/edit/delete crons (95% of our crons are
unfortunately for site-related code and DB related tasks).

There are two options I have:

- Give every dev access to our puppet server and access to change puppet
configuration (not really something I want to do).

- Setup a single cron inside puppet that runs every minute, and then
somehow setup a "task management system" that can execute multiple tasks
using that single cron.

Are there such systems as the last one I mentioned, perhaps web and
mysql/php based, where the dev's could create new "tasks" to run, and a
single cron running every minute would execute those tasks when needed?

Thanks!

-Matt