[nycbug-talk] cron management

N.J. Thomas njt at ayvali.org
Tue Sep 29 14:07:48 EDT 2009

* Matt Juszczak <matt at atopia.net> [2009-09-29 13:07:40-0400]:
> - Give every dev access to our puppet server and access to change
> puppet configuration (not really something I want to do).

We do this with our configuration management system (although not with
cron, but it's the same idea). We created a separate branch in our
source repository, and have the devs check in there.

About once a day, we have someone merge into the main trunk. That then
gets pushed into our configuration management tool.

It works well because the devs really only need to do this about once a
day at most.

If your dev team needs to do lots of frequent little changes, then the
context switching for the person on your team who is responsible for
merging and pushing out their code may be too high.

Thomas