[nycbug-talk] HP DL165G5 Issues

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Thu Apr 1 13:18:54 EDT 2010

On Thursday 01 April 2010 10:31:51 am Mark Saad wrote:
> Hello Talk
>   Any one out there using Hp DL165G5 servers. I have a about 10 now and a
number of the exhibit an odd issue. With freebsd , under i/o load the system
hangs for 6 to 10 seconds every 30 seconds or so , and  processes are stuck in
state getblk or biord . I was thinking it could be a disk or sata controller
issue so I swapped them both out sata for a p400 sas card and swapped drives a
few times sas,sata mdl dual port single port  and no change .   So. Installed
8.0 7.2 7.3 all have the same issue. I then tried CentOS 5.1 and 5.4 and
similar issues popped up. Formatting a 1T drive took over 45min .  Any one
have any ideas on what's toast ?  What would a process stuck in getblk or
biord refer to ?

"biord" is a thread waiting for an I/O read request to be completed (the
requesting thread sleeps in "biord" while GEOM passes the request down via
g_down and g_up).  "getblk" is probably also blocked on disk I/O, but
indirectly.  For example it may need to claim a buffer that is currently in
use for an in-process transaction for some other thread waiting in "biord" or
"biowr".

--
John Baldwin