[nycbug-talk] Sanity check on new naming scheme

Francisco Reyes lists at stringsutils.com
Thu Apr 8 13:57:19 EDT 2010

Isaac Levy writes:

> I'd typically rather name the machines uniquely,
>(sparrow.hostname.com, crow.hostname.com) instead of functionally, (e.g.
>www2.hostname.com, www3.hostname.com).

One possible problem with that approach would be applications that try to
reach machines by name. If a machine is repurposed and you did not use
CNAMES or forgot to repoint a CNAME you could have programs reach a  machine
that is no longer doing what the program expects.
Example: You have some type of "inbox" machine that gets data through FTP
from process X. Target machine for process X is re-purposed, but it also
accepts FTP with the same user/password. Now  process X is silently broken
because the sender is succeding on FTPing, but whatever was supposed to
process the incoming files is looking somewhere else.

I guess that with the proper change management any method will work.
I think on a company with weak change management it may be easier to have
something fail when a machine is repurposed and renamed.