[nycbug-talk] OT: blogging software

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Thu Apr 22 00:07:55 EDT 2010

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> Matt Juszczak writes:
>
>> (Sorry, I meant to post this to lists.nyphp.org, but mis-typed.  This is
>> very off topic for a BSD users group list, but I will await replies anyway
>> before re-posting)
>
> We have had even more off-topic discussions.. Hey.. as long as you hosted on
> a BSD machine we are happy. :-)
>
> Check Serendipity. I tried it in the past and it had some access controls
> (don't recall how good thy were though).
> http://www.s9y.org
>
> Easy to use and manage from what I recall.
> This review, http://needforcontent.com/serendipity-112-review, claims there
> is a decent control system in Serendipity. That site also seems to have
> reviews of other packages.

Speaking of WordPress, I am using it, but I'm a bit paranoid.

When I was looking at the hundreds of blog packages available, I started
digging around to see what was behind the lovely gloss and sheen of the WP
interface.  I stumbled on this lovely rant by one of the WP developers:

http://ma.tt/2007/06/on-wp-security/

And I followed the link to the posting critical of WP security:

http://www.wincent.com/a/about/wincent/weblog/archives/2007/06/wordpress_flaw.php

That first link has lots of religious battles in the comments, but what
really concerned me was not either "side's" position, but the politics.
My sense is that the WP team is mostly designers who took up php.  From my
own experience, that usually means bad news as far as security goes.  Not
that I'm any better, but I'm also not a programmer by trade, so I'll throw
some stones...

Something about the tone of the WP post really rubbed me the wrong way.
Of course, I'm still running it...  but I feel a little dirty. :)

Charles