[nycbug-talk] BSD based web hosting

Siraaj Khandkar siraaj at khandkar.net
Thu Dec 2 00:39:55 EST 2010

On 30 Nov 2010, at 14:33, mikel king wrote:

> Greetings all.
>
> I know this pops up on the list every once in a while but perhaps
> there is some updated information out there. I am researching BSD
> based hosting providers for a forthcoming article on BSD News.
>
> I am looking for specific categories;
> Basic Hosting (these are the budget guys a la Dreamhost types, that do
> Web, DNS & email)
> Virtual Server Hosting (self explanatory, VM rental)

Randal Schwartz has reported that he's very happy running FreeBSD VM
from http://arpnetworks.com/

They also offer OpenBSD and "most" Linux distros. Currently not
accepting new orders due to hardware limits, but saying they'll gear-up
by Dec 7th. I am anxiously waiting to give them a try!

There are others offering BSD VM's, but these guys seem to have the best
prices and some cool features (like serial console login over SSH).

> Physical Server Hosting (self explanatory, Server rental)
> Physical Server colocation (You own the box, and rack it at some place
> like Pilosoft)

It looks like they offer this as well (out of LA), but I haven't looked
into it, as I have no need for that service right now.

-- Siraaj Khandkar