[nycbug-talk] OT: Google Plans Ultra High-Speed Residential Networks

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Wed Feb 10 13:43:14 EST 2010

mikel king wrote:

>>> How is that different from sending all your traffic through ATT, or
>>> Comcast, or Verizon?
>>> Are you saying you expect Google do more snooping into your packets then
>>> others do?
>>
>> I absolutely think Google is going to be taking a closer look at your
>> traffic then other
>> providers simply because has much more to gain from performing
>> detailed analysis
>> of what you do online.
>>
>> Knowing that you play World of Warcraft and spend 3 hours a day on
>> digg would be
>> a pretty reliable way to place you into bucket a, which are more
>> likely to click on these
>>
>> Thats just one financial reason google would want to take a closer
>> look at what you
>> are doing. Now I am going to put on my conspiracy hat and remind you
>> that Google
>> recently partnered up with the NSA to help secure its network. Imagine
>> if 50,000
>> homes also became part of the Google network.
>

> And we all know how easy it is fishing in a bucket... especially for the
> T-800 series... ;-)

Without doubt, the Google point about inadequate residential data
infrastructure is valid. . . The US is in the second tier, IMHO, of
countries with internet access in the world.

How many US colos would close if we all had the standard .jp access at
home? :)

There are two questions really, though. . . would *you* use it?. . . and
would most people use it?

I think a layer of people would avoid it. . . the same people using Tor,
i2p, JAP, web proxies, etc.

You are at least dealing with the ISP as your privacy adversary with
those technologies.

Would most people avoid it that package from Google?  Unlikely.

And of course Google isn't the only one doing screwy things. . .

Look at these links:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/03/AR2008040304052.html

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2008/09/isps-will-all-s/

While the big OSPs like Google and ISPs highlight the particular
dissident in China that they don't tie the noose for, it's the larger
marketing analysis which is disturbing in a bigger sense, and frequently
downplayed.

It's all the more reason for everyone to run their own Tor bridges at
home. . . and have that bridge published for others to use.

http://www.torproject.org/bridges

George