[nycbug-talk] OpenBSD "router shell"

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Fri Jan 1 18:15:07 EST 2010

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009, Isaac Levy wrote:

> On Dec 30, 2009, at 11:37 PM, Charles Sprickman wrote:
>
>> This is new to me, thought I'd share:
>>
>> http://www.nmedia.net/nsh/
>>
>> "NSH consolidates configuration for interfaces, bridging, routing, PF
>> packet filtering, NAT, queueing, BGP, OSPF, RIP, IPsec, DHCP, DVMRP, SNMP,
>> relayd, sshd, inetd, ftp-proxy, resolv.conf and NTP. It presents the user
>> with a vaguely cisco-like interface with all configuration in one easy to
>> read text list.
>>
>> It also gives the user access to system information and diagnostics. NSH
>> replaces the userland commands which handle these functions, and talks
>> directly to the OpenBSD kernel or control utility for daemon
>> functionality."
>
> I'd be interested to hear how your trip goes with this down the road
> once you've used it...

I probably won't be using it anytime soon - I really dig the idea, but for
the time being I just can't wrestle with pf QoS stuff without some
hand-holding, so I'm probably going to end up giving Vyatta a spin as a
Cisco replacement at one site that has to do hard rate-limiting on each
VLAN...

But if I ever find the need to drop an OpenBSD "router" somewhere and QoS
is either not needed or very simple, this would be a no-brainer.

I may also find that Vyatta totally sucks...