[nycbug-talk] Upcoming Meeting Ideas

Steven Kreuzer skreuzer at exit2shell.com
Tue Mar 23 09:25:57 EDT 2010

I have a few ideas for potential topics mainly revolving around getting more people involved in open source development and I would like to see if anyone would be interesting in volunteering to speak at an upcoming meeting. If you are interested in giving a talk please email admin at nycbug.org and we can schedule it.

* How to contribute to... - If we could find 3 or 4 people who are involved in an open source project, they could give 10 or 15 minutes presentations on how someone could contribute to their project. How the development model works, what are some bugs no one has had any time to squash, what are some simple features that could be added. This could be a great opportunity for you to pitch your project to NYCBUG members.

* Just enough C - The idea of this talk would be to give people with little to no experience with programming enough knowledge of C so they can get their feet wet squashing bugs or adding features.

* Debugging - gdb is a valuable tool for both developers and sysadmins. I strongly feel that an introduction to debugging a misbehaving application would be very well received.

* Those new fangled languages - Have you been writing applications using the various languages that have been gaining in popularity lately? (Erlang, Haskell, Go)
What attracted you to it? What do you find interesting about them? What issues do they address that other languages haven't? When is using X appropriate more then using the more traditional Y?

Also, feel free to propose meeting topics as well, or help me fine tune some of the topics I proposed.

Of course, we are always looking for talks on interesting things. If none of the ones I proposed pop out at to you and you would like to give a talk on something else,
just get in touch.

Thanks

--
Steven Kreuzer