[nycbug-talk] Hypothetical: the end of the sysadmin/systems engineer/DBA?

Siobhan Lynch slynch2112 at me.com
Wed Mar 24 02:05:58 EDT 2010

Matt Juszczak wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> So I've been thinking - more and more companies (Amazon, Rackspace,
> Terremark, etc.) are moving to cloud technologies.  Some are even moving
> to cloud technologies combined with dedicated server infrastructure.
> But for the most part, it does seem a lot easier to "spin up" a few
> ready to go instances (like amazon EC2) and launch a production web
> application.
>
> There's still a lot to do: MySQL is still heavily used, and requires a
> lot of tuning once performance needs grow.  However, databases like
> MongoDB, SimpleDB, etc. are quickly gaining market share.
>
> So I wonder: will there be a time when those who have an idea simply
> spin up some ready to go cloud servers, point and click the necessary
> security they'd like and setup they'd like, and run with it?  At that
> point, would the only positions remaining be developers/programmers?
>
> Just my thought for the day.

There will always be those applications that the cloud isn;t apprpriate
for - for example, what my company does now (email migration) - we found
that the cloud could not be as reliable and scalable as doing i
ourselves (costwise).

So I think that for some, yes, but I don;t think sysadmins (especially
good ones) will be out of jobs.

-Trish