[nycbug-talk] a new direction for NYC*BUG

Hans Zaunere lists at zaunere.com
Thu Mar 25 16:39:42 EDT 2010

> > My two-cent vote would be for svn - easy access over HTTP/HTTPS, easy user
> > management, GUIs/UIs, handles non-traditional code files (binary files, etc)
> > out of the box.  I use it for config/systems management all the time (in
> > addition to actual source code control).

> The trick with a community repository is that you're really talking
> about creating a bunch of independent repositories, rather than one
> big one. Hans doesn't want me committing my sloppy code into his
> project, I'm sure.

But your code isn't THAT bad :)

> So whatever you choose, make sure the administrative overhead of
> creating new repositories and assigning commit rights is handled in an
> elegant way. And if you need to invent that wheel, that's a great seed
> project for the new repo. Nothing like eating your own dogfood...

A single repository would probably suffice.  Subversion/Apache supports a solid permissions/authentication system.  Read and/or write permissions at a per directory level, plus a tie-in to Apache's mod_auth_mysql or whatever if needed.

That said, this is likely all most people need, and very handy:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.serverconfig.httpd.html

see "Per-directory access control" header