[nycbug-talk] Cacti Alternatives?

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Sat May 15 14:02:05 EDT 2010

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 05:55:38PM +0000, Mark Saad wrote:

> Master ...  Master ...  Master of puppets pulling their striiiiings . Sorry metalica on the brain, there is a cacti alternative written using pythons django framework , it did not use rrd tool but svg based graphs . it looked nice but the name is lost on me now .

that may be graphite*.  its a pretty nifty package, although the way that
data gets ingested into it is kinda funky.  it does not support snmp
natively - instead you stream in formatted data into a listener daemon.
but hey, who doesn't love running netcat on your production network** :)

pretty fun for the DIY people - as long as you don't mind having to
reinvent the wheel by writing scripts to collect data/parse data etc...

-p

*http://graphite.wikidot.com/
**http://graphite.wikidot.com/getting-your-data-into-graphite