[nycbug-talk] jails: puppet vs. cfengine

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Wed Sep 8 03:36:02 EDT 2010

Hi all,

Not much more to it than that...  I've had a cursory look at both and the
really huge thing for me is having the ability for a config engine to
understand jails.

If I weren't using jails, I could keep getting by without any
configuration manager.  But with jails I'm now looking at upwards of 30
"hosts" and growing, which is not easy to manage.  One of our biggest
reasons for throwing stuff in jails is portability.  We have an odd
mixture of hardware, varying amounts of work per jail, and a need to be
able to shuffle jails from host to host should we either have a hardware
failure or capacity issues that demand a move of a jail to beefier
hardware.

If either puppet or cfengine can both understand jails and be able to tie
a jail and some host config options together (ie: an alias on an interface
on the host is "connected" to a particular jail), I will be all over that.

Any general jail/config management info more than welcome as well...

Thanks,

Charles