[nycbug-talk] FreeBSD IPv6 resources (native, not tunnel)?

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Fri Apr 15 05:25:00 EDT 2011

Hi all,

Anyone aware of a good place to talk about IPv6 on FreeBSD?  At home I
have a tunnel setup (pfsense w/ipv6 branch - awesome) and everything is
just "automagic" with LAN IPs and such.

But at work (not Bway, FWIW), we just got our /48 dumped on the LAN and
it's proving to be a bit more complex than the home setup.  Can't see a
simple way to get the kernel to create a link-local address without a
reboot, the rc.d stuff is really bizarre compared to ipv4, and well, I
just discovered ndp and am troubleshooting why my connectivity comes and
goes.  I suspect it has to do with the link-local address not existing.

Lots of little challenges with this stuff, and Google sort of proves
that there are not a lot of people doing non-tunnel ipv6.

Just figuring out how to get tcpdump to see v6 was a bit annoying.

And a free tip on removing static IPv6 from an interface...

You might thing "ifconfig fxp0 delete inet6 2001:518:b33f::2" would do
it, but no.  That works on ipv4, but for ipv6 we're talking something
more like this:

"ifconfig fxp0 inet6 2001:518:b33f::2 delete"

Apparently that's always been the "correct" way, but ifconfig's parser
doesn't enforce putting the modifier at the end with IPv4.  There are
many small fun things like this.

Charles

ps - serious, this isn't just Ike-bait. :)