[nycbug-talk] Any web stat program that collects data on time to serve

Edward Capriolo edlinuxguru at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 10:14:44 EDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 5:16 PM, Jesse Callaway <bonsaime at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 5:12 PM, Chris Snyder <chsnyder at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 5:08 PM, Chris Snyder <chsnyder at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > As you've discovered, Apache doesn't log the request separate from the
>> > response, so a log analyzer is no help here.
>>
>> But wait -- this isn't strictly true. Apache can be made to log the
>> time taken to serve the request, in microseconds. It just doesn't do
>> so in the standard log format.
>>
>> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_log_config.html#formats
>>
>> But getting awstats or another log analyzer to pay attention is another
>> story.
>>

> correctamundo...
>
> Gotta go with sec (simple event correlator) or collectd for the easiest
> way. Otherwise you're writing your own filter program for the apache logs...
> which i mean it's kinda cool that you can just add a pipe character to the
> logfile name, like in perl. But...
>

> --
> -jesse

To be clear I am using:
     LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-agent}i\"
%T %D" with_time
        CustomLog     /opt/awstats-7.0/wwwroot/cgi-bin/gui-access-perf.log
with_time

%D is the time in microseconds.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_log_config.html#formats

I know I can script something and make my own report, but I really do not
want to. If find when you write these things yourself you end up taking care
of them indefinitely. I was hoping to find some tool that would break down
%D by page. hits/average(time to serve),max(time_to_serve),95th
percentile(time_to_serve).