[nycbug-talk] DNS naming scheme mind-blocker :)

Jesse Callaway bonsaime at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 20:28:13 EDT 2011

I second that. Its consistent with your convention... and search domains
rock.
On Aug 5, 2011 7:22 PM, "Brian Cully" <bcully at gmail.com> wrote:
> I like naming from most-specific to least, in proper DNS fashion. We
actually do similar things here across our data centers. So I'd say:

> puppet.$datacenter.$client.$tld
>
> The only reason we did this was for the aforementioned most-to-least
specific strategy. You can obviously configure puppet to use whatever you
want. A nice side effect, though, was being able to reference puppet as
nothing more than "puppet" thanks to using resolv.conf search settings and
always getting the closest server.

> On Aug 5, 2011, at 19:05, Matt Juszczak <matt at atopia.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I've come up with a great DNS naming scheme that I'm going to be using
for my customers.

>> Let's say a customer's company is "abc corp". I name the hosts:
>>
>> <server name>.<data center>.abc-networks.net
>>
>> With an internal DNS record (powered by pdns/ldap backend) of:
>>
>> <server name>.<data center>.abc-networks.internal
>>
>> App connections use abc-app.com, such as:
>>
>> db.appname.abc-app.com / db.appname.abc-app.internal
>>
>> So in theory, I can launch a server called "bob" in the "bwi01" data
center, have it be a master database server for the "primary" database.

>> db.primary.abc-app.com ->
>> db1.primary.abc-app.com ->
>> bob.bwi01.abc-networks.net
>>
>> This way, I keep the network and app "dns" separate, and things stay
clean, and I can easily re-point things.

>> But I'm stuck. Puppet is technically a piece of software, but it only
powers the server configuration, nothing else (and isn't part of any
specific app). Even more so, I setup a puppet pool per data center.

>> So in that case, would I make an exception and do:
>>
>> puppet.bwi01.abc-networks.net (pointing to the pool of puppet servers
listening on port 8130)

>> or would I do:
>>
>> bwi01.puppet.abc-app.com
>>
>> to indicate the "app" called puppet and the "bwi01" server.
>>
>> Any input? :) This is going to be spread out across multiple clients, and
hard to change later, so I wanted to throw my thoughts out there.