[nycbug-talk] Thoughts on Creating Internship Programs?

Henry M henry95 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 16:16:58 EDT 2011

Ike,

You have some good ideas there, I'm all for intern programs as long as they
are valuable to both the intern, and the business.

Personally, I'd never give an intern with escalated privileges on any
critical machine. Hell, I don't like to give escalated privileges to some of
the people I work with! However, you can limit what commands they can run
via sudo which I think would be beneficial.

Here are some ideas that I think would be good for intern SA tasks.

* Documentation- Having the ability to document your knowledge and
architecture is just as important as actually putting it to work. You could
walk them through the layout of the land, and see if they can make simple
diagrams or docs. After a few review revisions you should be able to get
some decent docs.

* Server Installs- Base server installations are always a good place to
start. They learn the general setup of machine, network configs etc. This
also leads into software installations. Also, one less server you need to
build : )

* Testing- You can have them help you test certain situations. Exampls: "Go
unplug this machine and lets see how well our failover/backups work"

* Backups-  If you don't have a solid backup solution in place, they can
think and work on a good backup solution for different server/software
suites that you might use. Also a good chance to check out their scripting
abilities.

Those are just some of the stuff I can think of right now for an intern SA.

Good luck !

Regards,
Henry

P.S- All intern SA's should  be able to make network cables quickly. Even if
they aren't needed! (You need to abuse them a little!)