[nycbug-talk] simple apache log parser

mikel king mikel.king at olivent.com
Tue Aug 30 12:44:31 EDT 2011

On Aug 30, 2011, at 12:32 PM, Marc Spitzer wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am looking for a simple common log parser for apache. What I would
> like is a simple script that takes a log file and spits out sqlite
> insert statements.  My goal is some add hoc reporting on my logs,
> webdav related issue, to figure out what is going on.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> thanks,
>
> marc

Marc,

	A long time ago I used the Apache custom log format to write the logs as SQL statements and then used a script to pump that custom log into MySql. Once in the db I was able to search and sort based on the information in the columns.

	It may not be optimal but it saved a lot of parsing and gave me somewhat dynamic logging for my servers.

Cheers,
Mikel