[nycbug-talk] hardware testing

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Fri Dec 9 16:24:11 EST 2011

On 12/9/11 7:40 AM, George Rosamond wrote:
> How do others deal with hardware testing?
>
> You have the parts, the boxes built, new or used, how do you go about
> testing the RAM, drives, etc?
>
> I've used FreeBIE and other types of utilities, but I really would
> like to use or build some sort of self-contained, scripted, cd or USB
> bootable tool.  Boot it off the removable media, and get a full review
> the next day, if necessary.
>
> Anyone?
i find using pgbench will give you a good burn-in on most hardware
types.  it'll exercise two types of disk i/o - pg_xlog sync writes, and
normal db writes.  it'll also allow you to exercise your cpu/cores and
utilize memory.  the only missing component is stressing your network i/o.

having said that - i don't know of any off-the-shelf benchmarking suites
for freebsd...might be a good time to make one :)

-pete

--
Pete Wright
pete at nomadlogic.org