[nycbug-talk] Measuring Disk Performance

Isaac Levy ike at blackskyresearch.net
Mon Dec 12 11:57:41 EST 2011

Hi All,

Disks: I need to measure disk performance across heterogeneous UNIX boxes, and I'm sick of bonnie++ for a bunch of reasons I won't' waste time on here.

I know from conversations that a few folks here have their own ways of testing disks-

I'd really like to know what people do to measure general disk performance?  e.g. really simple tests:

  - r/w/d large files
  - r/w/d small files
  - disk performance when directories contain large numbers of files

I commonly have need to test things like:
  - different block sizes
  - different inode allocations (UFS/ext3
  - different filesystem partition layouts
  - different filesystem features (think ZFS fun)

Any thoughts, experiences, urls or shell utils to share?

Rocket-
.ike