[nycbug-talk] nifty(1)

Matthew Story matt at tablethotels.com
Thu Dec 15 11:48:08 EST 2011

On Dec 15, 2011, at 11:24 AM, Isaac Levy wrote:

> On Dec 15, 2011, at 11:12 AM, Matthew Story wrote:
>
>>> Not to divert it, but. . .
>>>
>>> Is this a "Shell from Hell" meeting?
>>
>> henry and I were hoping to compile a compendium of useful every-day patterns, functions, non-obvious but super-useful usages of "General Commands" ... nycbug talk seemed an ideal place to have this discussion ... and following the terminal mandelbrot fractal in zsh, I'm convinced we made the right decision.
>>
>> if nycbug threw a Shell From Hell meeting, i would be in attendance ... i would definitely bring a note-pad.
>
> I don't know if this thread could generate a meeting, but it sure does eradicate the need for a snowball/bikeshed of a NYC*BUG 'misc goodies repo':
>
> http://lists.nycbug.org/pipermail/talk/2010-March/013033.html
>>> does anyone on list object to using Git?

# a script for managing consensus based decision making
# ... make sure everyone's voice is heard ... at web scale
exec >/dev/null
# ... make sure everyone's other voice is heard ...
exec 2>&1

trolls
parse_objection() { echo "no" "no" "yes" "$1" "$2"; }
is_troll() {
    trolls="$trolls
    $troll"
    echo "$trolls" | while read troll; do
        [ "$troll" = "$1" ] && echo "troll"
    done
}
while [ 1 ]; do
while read author objection; do
   parse_objection "$author" "$objection" | {
       read reasonable relevant bikeshed author comment
       if [ ! "$reasonable" = "yes" -a "$relevant" = "yes" ]; then
           if [ "$bikeshed" = "yes" ]; then
               echo "$author (`is_troll "$author"`) has made a reasonable and relevant comment, but it is a bikeshed: $comment"
           else
               echo "something impossible happened ... neo is likely happening."
           fi
       else
           echo "$author (`is_troll "$author"`) has made a typically comment: $comment"
       fi
done
# it's important for every shell script to have an arbitrary sleep for unexplained reasons, better with an unnecessary comment
sleep 2 # sleep for 2
done