[nycbug-talk] spamd and gmail accounts

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Sun Jul 31 08:11:48 EDT 2011

On 07/30/11 21:19, Peter Wright wrote:
> hey all, finally got my act together and setup openbsd's spamd on my
> personal mail server.  its a low volume box and was wondering if
> anyone else had experience using spamd and getting mail from gmail
> users.  do they have a huge block of IP's doing smtp?  i've started
> to get some test mails in, but i suspect that it will take a while to
> build a whitelist of gmail smtp hosts.

I brought this up a while ago.  Gmail is generally fine, but Yahoo mail
seems to be the bigger problem.  Not sure if it's some funky way Yahoo
does SMTP, but that mail seems to always be massively delayed by spamd.
  It also seemed like an issue with XO.

The only suggestion I remember is whitelisting the entire blocks, which
means dig'g the mx's.

I don't personally like that option, but it's the only route AFAIK.

On another spamd note, I always thought it would be cool to replicate
what Bob Beck is doing, and centralize some sort of NYCBUG blacklist and
whitelist that anyone could synchronize.  It would be a relatively
simple project to do, but it assumes some level of trust to those
submitting.