[nycbug-talk] Cacti Sucks, So what do I replace it with.

Chris Snyder chsnyder at gmail.com
Thu May 5 17:17:21 EDT 2011

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 4:20 PM, Jesse Callaway <bonsaime at gmail.com> wrote:

> There is a lot of interest out there in getting a good replacement
> going, and many projects. It's good to see all of these efforts come
> out at once. Some projects are looking at what others are doing, and
> it's making a great feedback cycle... the Bazaar!!!

I think the graphite guys nailed it when they wrote that this is a niche
product. I struggled with cacti, munin, and others until I realized that it
would be better to just roll my own with RRD and PHP so that I got exactly
what I wanted. Outside of small-office situations, there is no one-size-fits
all to monitoring.

Graphite is a valid upgrade path from RRD, rather than a framework around
it. Great suggestion.

Chris Snyder
http://chxor.chxo.com/