[nycbug-talk] FreeBSD Hypervisor: Call For Testers

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Mon Nov 14 13:43:06 EST 2011

On Monday, November 14, 2011 6:57:41 pm Pete Wright wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 11:06:47AM -0500, Mark Saad wrote:
> > Hello Talk
> >
> > This is a repost from osnews.org, two cool things are going on here.
> > Michael Dexter has a new site callfortesting.org, interesting stuff.
> > Ivan Voras is looking for testers of BHyVe, a type 2 hypervisor for Freebsd .
> >
> > Via Ivan Voras' blog (yes a few days late....but this place needs more
> > BSD news).
> > Michael Dexter of CFT has published a tutorial on FreeBSD's upcoming
> > type 2 hypervisor known as BHyVe.
> > The article guides the reader through the procedures to configure,
> > build & boot a hypervisor capable host and guest system.
> > BHyVe currently only supports Intel's x86 virtualization hardware &
> > the project itself is still currently under early development.
> >
> > http://callfortesting.org/
> > http://ivoras.net/blog/tree/2011-11-13.call-for-testing-the-bsd-hypervisor-bhyve.html
> >

> cool, very interesting - thanks mark.

Note that BHyVe requires a guest kernel with the virtio drivers (which are
now finally public and BSD licensed in a separate projects branch in
FreeBSD's svn).  I have not had a chance to work with it since helping to
port it to 9-CURRENT in May (NetApp released it for 8 at BSDCan).  It does
not support AMD CPUs (yet).

--
John Baldwin