[nycbug-talk] OT: what version of RHEL/CentOS are you using in prod?

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Tue Nov 22 19:40:19 EST 2011

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 07:20:01PM -0500, Isaac Levy wrote:
> On Nov 22, 2011, at 6:07 PM, "Matt Juszczak" <matt at atopia.net> wrote:
>
> > I know we all work with FreeBSD on a daily basis but usually have a client or two (or more) using CentOS/Rackspace.

Well, these days, I'm more a CentOS and even Ubuntu guy--jobs change, as
we all know.

I'm fairly up on this.

Short answer.  CentOS has been falling somewhat behind with updates, but
now has a special CR repo that, even though they don't have a 6.1
version, will keep security and other things pretty up to date.

There is also ScientificLinux, which is almost as close to RH as CentOS
and has paid developers.  It might be worth investigating, depending
upon situation.

As for 5.x vs. 6.x, everything new that we're doing is going with 6.x.
Some of the 5.x packages are really ancient by now.

I would definitely recommend 6.x, and personally, would go with CentOS,
despite their not being as up to date as SL, simply because I think
you'll have more vendor support.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Buffy: You know, for someone who teaches human behavior, you
might try showing some.
Professor Walsh:It's not my job to coddle my students.
Buffy: You're right. A human being in pain has nothing to do with
your job. (leaves)
Professor Walsh: I like her.
Riley: Really? You don't think she's a little peculiar?