[nycbug-talk] rc.conf / rc'ng hacking

Mark Saad mark.saad at ymail.com
Thu Oct 13 17:13:24 EDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 2:45 PM, Isaac Levy <ike at blackskyresearch.net> wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> A couple of comments (some of them obvious):
>
> - How many boxes, and how physically close are they?
There are 90 + servers. They are 2000 miles away in Texas and California

> Performing the buildworld/buildkernel dance, tar-piping /usr/src to N machines, and install/mergemaster seems pretty simple and scriptable, except for,

Need to wipe the hd and re-partition , the previous guy set the
servers up with weird disk layouts . I have done this locally in ny
and it works.

> - The mfsroot bit:
> You want to change disk layout without PXE booting, or local disk access- on what sounds like unknown/aging hardware.

The servers are HP DL145g2 and g3 along with some DL380/360 g5 and g6

> I'd think this would fail all over the place, the smallest inconsistency would leave the boxes unusable, requiring physical intervention.
> Tell us how this goes...
I will and they boxes are not that old.

> --
> The rc.conf bit:
> I'd personally copy the files outright to a separate server, possibly toss some comment bits in at the top with other machine info- (ethernet mac addr for id, phyical locaiton, etc...)
>
> All that auto-parsing to generate the rc.conf bits just sounds strange.

agreed after some discussion on this we are going to just use a
staging ip and a mfsroot/install.cfg per device type to make this
simpler.

> --
> One last sanity-check question: how many boxes are we talking about, and are you sure the procedure you outline below is cheaper than a fistfull of bootable USB keys, and some install.cfg defaults?

Its going to cost to much to pay the co-lo hotels noc staff , to do
the work and, in one case I cant not ensure the noc staff will not
royally screw this up. IE try to reinstall a windows box with freebsd
and or disconnect a cisco switch and ask where the vga cable goes.