[nycbug-talk] Diagrams.

Isaac Levy ike at blackskyresearch.net
Sun Sep 11 12:31:09 EDT 2011

Wow, surprising number of responses to that thread!

On Sep 10, 2011, at 2:48 PM, Bjorn Nelson wrote:

> On 9/10/2011 12:20 PM, Isaac Levy wrote:
>> Not Appropriate Tools:
>> UML-specific tools are not appropriate, and no matter how much I love GraphVis, it's a graphing tool- not a drawing tool. However, it would be awesome to *import* GraphVis .dot files, and then move/arrange/edit by hand...
>>
> Although, you say dot is not what you are looking for, but have you tried it on a wiki that has a plugin that will render dot syntax?  It's a bit easier to collaborate with, this way.
>
> http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Plugins/DirectedGraphPlugin
>
> -Bjorn

I installed this a few years ago in a twiki I inherited, it's pretty slick indeed.

GraphVis itself is totally underrated and simple to work with, (yet another great gift from Bell Labs).

However, I'm not so worried about the collaborative mechanism, as long as the files are digital- (email, version control, file server, etc...) collaborating is not the problem I need to solve now.

I really want to find a good visual tool:  I love graphs and GraphVis in particular, but making drawings through any form of markup is just so counter-intuitive to me, when the diagram is the subject of the work- (not an output of some other work, or some form of markup/code).

--
If I go this markup route, than I may as well just bust out LaTeX and get busy...

Best,
.ike