[nycbug-talk] FreeBSD & Google Analytics

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Sun Dec 9 21:40:41 EST 2012

The same day of my little rant at the last meeting, here's some very
timely news:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-announce/2012-December/001441.html

Now certainly you can get a lot out of their analytics.  Information
that can be useful in the interests of users, and spawn improvements in
web sites, like FreeBSD.org.

But as I argued, nothing is free.  And when anyone claims anonymity by
policy, you are trusting their word that it's true, trusting their
lawyers that they can defend the data, etc.

While not as disturbing as the Amazon/Canonical/Ubuntu spyware, it is
certainly an ugly turn, IMHO.