[nycbug-talk] FreeBSD & Google Analytics

Brett brett.mahar at gmx.com
Mon Dec 10 17:38:11 EST 2012

> > IMHO, it is not FUD, it is legitimate concern.  But, from what I see so
> > far, it is concern from those who are already security- and
> > privacy-aware.
> >
> > We (FreeBSD) are respecting DNT, not relying on Google.  Additionally,
> > disabling Javascript will also disallow tracking.

A good reminder to disable javascript for daily internet use and only enable for sites that need it. Even though FreeBSD is respecting DNT, it doesn't take much of an imagination to see many other sites will not respect this flag.

Since there are probably many website administrators on this mailing list, my suggestion to any of them who want to improve privacy/security on the internet: build websites that are fully functional without javascript.