[nycbug-talk] FreeBSD & Google Analytics

Eric Radman ericshane at eradman.com
Wed Dec 12 13:46:02 EST 2012

On 12/09/12 23:13, Glen Barber wrote:

>We (FreeBSD) are respecting DNT, not relying on Google.  Additionally,
>disabling Javascript will also disallow tracking.

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but aren't we really redefining
a freebsd user as someone who runs javascript?

> - We will be able to identify the most actively visited pages within
>   the site as a whole.  This information, especially in documenting an
>   Operating System, is essential in identifying "priority" pages, and
>   can help the Documentation Project prepare such pages before
>   releases.

This is a judgement about who the important users are since GA was
created to characterize mass-consumer behavior. I would venture to guess
that the users who don't allow GA tend to be a relevant part of the
community.

Eric