[nycbug-talk] craigslist blocking tor

Ah Pook ahpook at verizon.net
Thu Dec 27 13:53:11 EST 2012

On 12/27/2012 11:39 AM, Brett Wynkoop wrote:
> Today I decided to try making tor a part of my normal daily life and I
> discovered the following when trying to hit newyork.craigslist.org:
>
> This IP has been automatically blocked.
> Questions: blocks-b13559612108636 at craigslist.org.

I know in the past they've blocked individual exit nodes, but maybe not
on this scale...  Craigslist gets an ungodly amount of spam, so I can't
speculate on whether it's that or

 > hand in hand with them wanting a phone number from a number that can
 > be pinned to an individual to allow posting adverts.

*shrug*  It's the downside of tor - it does what it's supposed to.  If
the number of legitimate users not being able to use their sites
directly affects their bottom line, I'm sure they'll reconsider.