[nycbug-talk] NetBSD on ARM

Edward Capriolo edlinuxguru at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 11:52:05 EST 2012

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 9:44 AM, Pete Wright <pete at nomadlogic.org> wrote:
> On 2/28/12 6:38 AM, Justin Dearing wrote:
>
> On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 8:56 AM, George Rosamond
> <george at ceetonetechnology.com> wrote:
>>

>> There's so much activity around ARM. . . we need to have a meeting on
>> porting to it.  Anyone?
>>

> The question is, whats the motivation to port FreeBSD to ARM?
>
> Not that I think its a bad idea, but wheres the market for products using
> FreeBSD on arm? Is someone going to sell netbooks running PC-BSD? Is a
> hosting provider going to get a few racks of ARM blades for a cloud. Is some
> university researcher/hacker going to port it just because?
>

> sure to all three.  and during the porting to arm FreeBSD may benefit in
> code that is more portable, and better audited (like Net and Open) along the
> way :)
>
> other use cases off the top of my head:
> - embedded appliances
> - manufacturing/control systems
> - network gear
>
> -pete
>
> --
> Pete Wright
> pete at nomadlogic.org
> www.nomadlogic.org

Is a hosting provider going to get a few racks of ARM blades??

Jesse and I used to work in a place that had a cobalt running a mips
chip. I always though that machine was pretty awesome.

I have always wanted to grid-compute something across an army of low
power mips/arm servers.

http://blog.milford.io/2011/04/seamicro-is-pretty-sweet-but-i-dont-know-about-it-for-hadoop/