[nycbug-talk] SOPA DOA

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Tue Jan 17 23:11:44 EST 2012

On 01/17/12 18:33, Pete Wright wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 11:08:11AM -0500, Edward Capriolo wrote:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_Online_Piracy_Act
>>
>> The originally proposed bill would allow the U.S. Department of Justice, as
>> well as copyright holders, to seek court orders against websites accused of
>> enabling or facilitating copyright infringement.
>>
>> The bill would make unauthorized streaming of copyrighted content a crime,
>>
>> It sounds like that is exactly what it is about, Protecting copyrights, or
>> are you saying it only protects "streaming" data?
>>

> i think if you do a little research into SOPA you will find that not
> only is the bill a misguided attempt to stop "piracy" - but is a pretty
> blatant attempt to break DNS and the foundation of how the internet
> works on a fundemental level.
>
> regarding "piracy" - i've worked for alot of the companies that back
> SOPA (film studios, video game studios etc...) and frankly i really
> don't feel bad for them.  to sink over a year of your life into a game,
> see it be a block-buster (cough MW2) then to have your employer *not*
> give you a raise is pretty dispicable, or in the case of film - to get
> laid off right at the end of production - is aweful.
>
> all this legal wrangling (DMCAA, SOPA...etc...) is just the major stake
> holders trying to keep costs down while trying to delay the major

I hate to swing this discussion, but I really see a *certain* parallel
with the GPL v BSD license.

If you think the question of software rights should be decided in the
legal realm, then the GPL is yours.  Good luck.

I spoke to a significant vendor in a certain area that uses Linux for
its embedded system.  They knew nothing about the GPL.  I'd put money
they are even using GPL v3 stuff.  I almost felt sympathy for them since
they were pretty clueless on the implications.

Sounds like a real field day for lawyers.  You're damn right Pete.

I would even go so far as to argue that if GPL enforcers were so
inclined, they should consider their own version of SOPA.

(coming from way way out in left field. . .)