[nycbug-talk] Weird build problem on FBSD 8.3-PRERELEASE

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Sun Mar 4 00:11:33 EST 2012

On Mar 3, 2012, at 10:43 PM, George Rosamond wrote:

> (In the old days, people were more than interested in posting this sort of stuff, so I thought I'd bring back some of that old flavor.  We used to be much more humble. :)
>
> So following FreeBSD stable on a particular box, I hacked away at the kernel for some specific needs.
>
> buildworld kept dying, and I determined that for some crazy reason, even after csup'g, that the file /usr/src/contrib/binutils/ld/gen-doc.txi was missing.  The rest of the directory was populated with the correct files.
>
> I resolved it quickly by copying it over from another box once I figured it out, but I still don't know how this file wouldn't be there in the first place.
>
> Both boxes were csup'd from the same mirror (cvsup9).  So no point in confirming that the file is on the mirror.  Nothing fancy going on in the build, just the usual csup, buildworld, etc.
>
> Any insights?

I generally read -stable everyday, and in the past few months I've seen numerous reports of one or two goofy cvsup servers screwing things up for people.  I never saw any discussion of the root cause or whether the servers were pulled from the pool, but in all cases the underlying weirdness (which sounds much like yours) was resolved by switching to another cvsup mirror.