[nycbug-talk] Weird build problem on FBSD 8.3-PRERELEASE

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Sun Mar 4 20:07:54 EST 2012

On 03/04/12 14:52, Jason Hellenthal wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 04, 2012 at 12:11:33AM -0500, Charles Sprickman wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 3, 2012, at 10:43 PM, George Rosamond wrote:
>>
>>> (In the old days, people were more than interested in posting
>>> this sort of stuff, so I thought I'd bring back some of that old
>>> flavor.  We used to be much more humble. :)
>>>
>>> So following FreeBSD stable on a particular box, I hacked away at
>>> the kernel for some specific needs.
>>>
>>> buildworld kept dying, and I determined that for some crazy
>>> reason, even after csup'g, that the file
>>> /usr/src/contrib/binutils/ld/gen-doc.txi was missing.  The rest
>>> of the directory was populated with the correct files.
>>>
>>> I resolved it quickly by copying it over from another box once I
>>> figured it out, but I still don't know how this file wouldn't be
>>> there in the first place.
>>>
>>> Both boxes were csup'd from the same mirror (cvsup9).  So no
>>> point in confirming that the file is on the mirror.  Nothing
>>> fancy going on in the build, just the usual csup, buildworld,
>>> etc.
>>>
>>> Any insights?
>>
>> I generally read -stable everyday, and in the past few months I've
>> seen numerous reports of one or two goofy cvsup servers screwing
>> things up for people.  I never saw any discussion of the root cause
>> or whether the servers were pulled from the pool, but in all cases
>> the underlying weirdness (which sounds much like yours) was
>> resolved by switching to another cvsup mirror.

Thanks Spork. . . yeah, I didn't try other mirrors, but again, as
mentioned, another box was updated from cvsup9, and I'd assume the
source would be the same. . .

It was easily resolvable, but it has never happened to me before, so I
was a bit perplexed.

I'm on a minimum-list-membership period of my life. . . reading
/usr/src/UPDATING is more than enough :)

> Or using SVN: (I reccomend it over the use of [cvsup/csup]) svn co
> svn://svn.freebsd.org/base/stable/8/ /usr/src/
>
> After... When you nened to update. cd /usr/src ; svn up

Yeah. . . that's useful.  I need to start doing that.  I tend to be
conservative on methods.  I still use portupgrade more than portmaster,
etc. still, despite being mocked by someone else on admin@

;-'