[nycbug-talk] Cool read about history of /bin /usr/bin/

Edward Capriolo edlinuxguru at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 15:25:16 EDT 2012

/var/lib is ok I think. Each daemon that needs to store data defaults
to /var/lib/${daemon}. Also your logs will go to /var/log, so in
practice /var is all disk besides /boot and / (and home if you are
supporting it). In the end anything that really cares about disk
performance will likely use /mnt/something.

I have seen disks over partitioned 100GB with 10 10GB slices so no
room for a 30GB database. I have seen disk under partitioned 300GB /
root that takes 30 minutes to fsck. Heir layouts make the best
arguments.

Edward