[nycbug-talk] FreeBSD 9 installation failure

Brett Wynkoop nycbug at wynn.com
Tue Oct 16 14:31:32 EDT 2012

On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 14:25:45 -0400 (EDT)
Matt Juszczak <matt at atopia.net> wrote:

> > I think I missed the start of this thread, but I can say I have had
> > bad experiences with 3ware hardware raid in the past.
> >
> > I suggest you go with a non-raid controller and just use gmirror or
> > zfs mirroring.
> >
> > zfs is working great for me on 9.0 using the mfsbsd install disk
> > image.
>
> How is this setup?  Does it need to be setup from the beginning?  The
> box would only have 2 x 750GB disks in them.
>
> -Matt

See http://mfsbsd.vx.sk/.  If you need help after looking at that page
let me know.  Pretty straight forward.

You can do zfs mirror or zfs stripped using that install image and your
hardware.  If you are i386 you need at least 512Mb memory....I know my
x86 box crashed at 384M under heavy I/O load.

The least I have run on AMD64 has been 4G and zfs is great that way.

If you want to go the gmirror route google FreeBSD gmirror onlamp and
you will get the article that I follow when I do gmirror installs.  I
can never remember all the details.
-Brett

 -Brett

wynkoop at wynn.com