[nycbug-talk] BeagleBone in qemu

Brett Wynkoop nycbug at wynn.com
Thu Oct 18 12:44:14 EDT 2012

Greeting-

I have been trying to boot the image that George sent the link to, but
qemu seems unhappy trying to boot it.

ivory:beaglebone wynkoop$ qemu-system-arm   FreeBSD-BEAGLEBONE.img
Kernel image must be specified
ivory:beaglebone wynkoop$

Mounting the disk image shows us this:

ivory:beaglebone wynkoop$ ls   /Volumes/BOOT
LOADER.HEL      MLO             U-BOOT.IMG      UBLDR           UENV.TXT
ivory:beaglebone wynkoop$

So I tried the following:

ivory:beaglebone wynkoop$ qemu-system-arm   FreeBSD-BEAGLEBONE.img
-kernel /UBLDR /UBLDR: No such file or directory
qemu: could not load kernel '/UBLDR'
ivory:beaglebone wynkoop$

ivory:beaglebone wynkoop$ qemu-system-arm   FreeBSD-BEAGLEBONE.img
-kernel U-BOOT.IMG U-BOOT.IMG: No such file or directory
qemu: could not load kernel 'U-BOOT.IMG'
ivory:beaglebone wynkoop$

.....and a few other variations.

I have found things on line about booting GNU/Linux images in qemu and
they look something like this:

 qemu-system-arm -M versatilepb -cpu cortex-a8 -kernel ./vmlinuz -hda
  rootfs.img -m 256 -append "root=/dev/sda mem=256M devtmpfs.mount=0 rw"

So the big question is has anyone figured out the magic needed to boot
the image in qemu?  My MacBook seems not to want to mount the image
that is in the root dir of the image.  I have not tried to copy that to
another BSD box yet due lack of space on my other box. I am trying to
get a jump on my Beagle Project.

-Brett

wynkoop at wynn.com
917-642-6924