[nycbug-talk] X11 installed anyway??

Brett Wynkoop nycbug at wynn.com
Thu Oct 25 12:35:23 EDT 2012

On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 11:37:03 -0400
Okan Demirmen <okan at demirmen.com> wrote:

> I've seen similar threads to this from time to time.  I have to ask:
> why do so many people have an issue with a letter from our alphabet,
> namely the letter "x"?
>
> Running an X server is so very different than requiring libXblah.
>
> What is the "issue" that authors need to think about when coding here?

Greeting-

X libraries add to the amount of space that is needed for a system.
Some of us run very lean systems on very small embedded boxes and
prefer lean software over software that is carrying around a bunch of
stuff for a graphics system that we will never be making use of on the
systems in question.

Of course there is also the memory foot print of pulling several X
libs into memory for, in some cases, one function in each.

Those of us who are minimalists do not like loading extra cruft on our
small systems.  In my case the jabber server will probably never do
anything graphic, so I am at a loss as to why at the moment I see loads
of X stuff building.  I am going to let it run it's course and if I do
not like what I see when it is done I will zero the system out and
build a different jabber server.

===>   Registering installation for bitstream-vera-1.10_5

seems unneeded to me, but what the heck I am just an old school system
admin who can code.

-Brett

wynkoop at wynn.com
917-642-6924