[nycbug-talk] X11 installed anyway??

Okan Demirmen okan at demirmen.com
Thu Oct 25 13:49:09 EDT 2012

On Thu 2012.10.25 at 13:11 -0400, Brett Wynkoop wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 12:35:23 -0400
> Brett Wynkoop <nycbug at wynn.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 11:37:03 -0400
> > Okan Demirmen <okan at demirmen.com> wrote:
> >

> > > I've seen similar threads to this from time to time.  I have to ask:
> > > why do so many people have an issue with a letter from our alphabet,
> > > namely the letter "x"?
> > >
> > > Running an X server is so very different than requiring libXblah.
> > >
> > > What is the "issue" that authors need to think about when coding
> > > here?
>
> Take a look at this:

[snip]

> Needless to say I will not be using ejabberd.  It makes no sense that a
> jabber server needs GTK!
>
> Now time to rollback the zfs filesystem of that jail to the point
> before I started the build and start clean with a different jabber
> server install.

I won't comment on the choice of software - that is something you have.

However, what you are running into above does not seem like an "issue"
with ejabberd, but rather the packaging system that is being used.  Has
the port maintainer, or in general, the ports tree that is in-use, been
considered as a contact point instead?

>From *another* point of view, ejabberd needs the following libs: expat
crypto ssl z iconv and of course, just plain erlang.  My point here is
that ejabberd might not be your issue...