[nycbug-talk] X11 installed anyway??

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Thu Oct 25 14:23:02 EDT 2012

On Oct 25, 2012, at 1:23 PM, Pete Wright wrote:

> On 10/25/12 10:14, Pete Wright wrote:
>> On 10/25/12 08:23, nycbug at wynn.com wrote:
>>> Greeting-
>>>
>>> I am in the middle of installing ejabberd on a headless server and it seems to
>>> need X libraries too.
>>>
>>> It would be nice if authors actually thought about these things when they
>>> were coding.
>>
>> I am %99 sure that ejabberd needs various X rendering libraries for fonts the webUI utilizes.
>>
> which i should add this is all hidden if you are running a java implementation of a XMMP daemon (openfire for example) as those libraries are either part of the base JRE or bundled as jar files w/ the app itself.

Yeah, but then you have to install Java. :)

> if you really want a lean XMMP implementation you may need to look at jabberd2:
> https://github.com/Jabberd2/jabberd2
>
> although you loose all of the greatness of erlang/mnesia for distributed xmmp deployments (i've done it, it's great for organizations with multiple offices around the globe), and ease of management that openfire could potentially give you (AD integration for example).

Just a random datapoint, but I have ejabberd 2.1.9 installed from ports (including the web interface) and it brought in no X stuff at all:

[spork at jab ~]$ pkg_info -r /var/db/pkg/ejabberd-2.1.9
Information for ejabberd-2.1.9:

Depends on:
Dependency: expat-2.0.1_2
Dependency: perl-5.12.4_3
Dependency: erlang-r14b04_1,1
Dependency: libiconv-1.13.1_2

Looking at 2.1.11, I'm not seeing any radical differences that would require any X-related libs.  FWIW, this box also has apache, php and some other misc. junk, but no X libs whatsoever.

> anywho...different strokes for different folks...

The only package that really ticks me off as far as an insane list of dependencies is rrdtool.

This is so it can have pretty fonts:

Information for rrdtool-1.4.5:

Depends on:
Dependency: font-util-1.2.0
Dependency: encodings-1.0.4,1
Dependency: expat-2.0.1_2
Dependency: python27-2.7.2_4
Dependency: perl-5.12.4_4
Dependency: png-1.5.12
Dependency: pkgconf-0.8.9
Dependency: pixman-0.24.2
Dependency: freetype2-2.4.7
Dependency: fontconfig-2.8.0_1,1
Dependency: bitstream-vera-1.10_5
Dependency: xproto-7.0.22
Dependency: libfontenc-1.1.0
Dependency: mkfontscale-1.0.9
Dependency: mkfontdir-1.0.6
Dependency: libXdmcp-1.1.0
Dependency: libXau-1.0.6
Dependency: font-misc-meltho-1.0.3
Dependency: font-misc-ethiopic-1.0.3
Dependency: font-bh-ttf-1.0.3
Dependency: xorg-fonts-truetype-7.5.1
Dependency: pcre-8.30_1
Dependency: libpthread-stubs-0.3_3
Dependency: libxcb-1.7
Dependency: xcb-util-0.3.8,1
Dependency: xcb-util-renderutil-0.3.8
Dependency: libffi-3.0.9
Dependency: libiconv-1.13.1_2
Dependency: libxml2-2.7.8_2
Dependency: gettext-0.18.1.1
Dependency: glib-2.28.8_4
Dependency: gamin-0.1.10_4
Dependency: gio-fam-backend-2.28.8_1
Dependency: gobject-introspection-0.10.8_2
Dependency: cairo-1.10.2_3,1
Dependency: pango-1.28.4