[nycbug-talk] Crypto Anarchy

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Tue Apr 30 18:33:00 EDT 2013

On Apr 30, 2013, at 6:01 PM, Mark Saad wrote:

> All
> I was rereading Tim May's Crypto Anarchy manifesto 1. While still relevant today there are a few things that date his work and I wonder if anyone could comment on them. He mentions Ku-Band transmitters , I assume he is talking about satalite microwave based communication but what system , is there or was there some form of this available to common users or just governments ?

In many parts of the world, satellite internet is common.  I can't speak to it directly, but I believe that in Iraq it's still quite common and I would guess that in somewhere like Iran, it's probably your only option for unfiltered internet.  It's expensive and I believe Ku is not the preferred band anymore.  Anyhow, a fascinating topic.

Here's some dated pricing from the Amazon dude with a boat:

http://blog.mvdirona.com/2009/06/21/RemoteDataCommunicationCosts.aspx

And this site looks like it's from 1998, but seems to have somewhat current information:

http://www.satsig.net/

Lots of options in the Middle East:

http://www.satsig.net/ivsat2.htm

No pricing though…

It's certainly not anonymous, but it is a way to bypass the local/state telecom.

Charles