[nycbug-talk] Some history of Unix utilities

Jimmy B. jpb at jimby.name
Tue Aug 6 13:34:55 EDT 2013

* James E Keenan <jkeen at verizon.net> [2013-08-05 22:11]:
> nycbug-talk is one of the few lists I subscribe to where I know people
> take an interest in Unix history.  This discussion of the origins of
> several Unix utilities popped up on the Perl 5 Porters newsgroup today.
>   The participants are usually among the most well informed on p5p, so I
> figured I'd share it.
>
> Thank you very much.
> Jim Keenan

I remember reading the announcements on Usenet in the 1980's about
Henry Spencer's regex library and thinking how *way cool* that was.
The library turned up in quite a few places.  I seem to recall it
was used in quite a few applications of that era, including NNTP
and early versions of the X window protocol and Perl itself.
(Please correct me if my memory has turned against me :-))

As much as I liked it, I was even happier when PCRE hit the bitwaves.
Much simpler, and more powerful.

Cheers,
Jim B.