[nycbug-talk] FreeBSD on Google Compute Engine

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Mon Dec 9 13:31:54 EST 2013

On 12/09/2013 08:59 AM, Anthony Elizondo wrote:
> Many of you may have heard, Google Compute Engine went GA a week ago. It
> competes with AWS EC2, and is a 'raw' IaaS KVM-based VM.
>
> http://googlecloudplatform.blogspot.com/2013/12/google-compute-engine-is-now-generally-available.html
>
> In their announcement they proudly tout FreeBSD support. Thanks Google!
>
> No pre-built images are available, however. Instructions for doing so
> are at https://developers.google.com/compute/docs/building-image
>
> Has anyone tried FreeBSD on GCE yet?

nice - glad to see them publicly announce support for freebsd.  reading
through the docs there it doesn't seem to provide a good example of
creating a generic OS instance to create an image off of.  i know in the
AWS world you generally need to mount an EBS volume onto an existing
image, chroot into that guy, configure it to suit, then create an image
off of that.  i'd assume you have to do something similar with GCE.

as an aside - i've been doing a bit of work with openstack lately and
plan on re-focusing my efforts early next year on it.  one of my first
goals is to create a publicly available FreeBSD (and possibly NetBSD to
follow shortly after that) image for use on OpenStack.  details to follow :)

i *can* say for the record using FreeBSD + ZFS +
openstack-nfs-block_disk-provider *does* work quite well in my lab:)

-pete

--
Pete Wright
pete at nomadlogic.org