[nycbug-talk] APU

Jim B. jpb at jimby.name
Wed Dec 18 21:11:06 EST 2013

* Jared Davenport <jared at thegridsource.com> [2013-12-18 12:20]:

> Hey everyone, first time posting here!
>
> I'm evaluating the APU from PC Engines. The specs for this are here:
> http://www.pcengines.ch/apu.htm. The board also has a single 16gb
> m-SATA SSD.
>
> OpenBSD dmesgd: http://www.nycbug.org/?action=dmesgd&dmesgid=2504
>
> I'm having trouble getting FreeBSD 10-RC2 (amd64 & i386) to boot,
> using memstick installer on a USB drive. Here are modifications I made
> to the installer image (the board has no VGA):
>
> /boot/loader.conf
> - -> http://pastebin.com/QVZszqMS
>
> /etc/ttys
> - -> http://pastebin.com/uXdXbZ02
>
> FreeBSD 10-RC2 boot message:
> - -> http://pastebin.com/H9402e7j
>
> The system stops responding after the last line, with no further
> messages.  Oddly, pfSense is booting fine, using
> pfSense-memstick-serial-2.1-RELEASE-amd64.img:
> - -> http://pastebin.com/KHyyQrCm
>
> So far, it's only FreeBSD that's having this problem. Any suggestions?
>
> Bonus pic!  http://i.imgur.com/QX63jrx.jpg (ignore the strange power
> connector)

Hello Jared,

Try adding these lines to the loader.conf file.

verbose_loading="YES"            # Set to YES for verbose loader output
boot_verbose="-v"                # -v: Causes extra debugging information to be printed

Also, try getting to a shell in your pfsense system and running dmesg.  You
might be able to compare the output you have with the pfsense dmesg and
find some differences.

Cheers,
Jim B.