[nycbug-talk] APU

Isaac (.ike) Levy ike at blackskyresearch.net
Thu Dec 19 09:31:25 EST 2013

On December 18, 2013 10:33:13 PM EST, Jared Davenport
<jared at thegridsource.com> wrote:

> On 12/18/2013 09:11 PM, Jim B. wrote:
>> * Jared Davenport <jared at thegridsource.com> [2013-12-18 12:20]:
>>>
>>> Hey everyone, first time posting here!
>>>
>>> I'm evaluating the APU from PC Engines. The specs for this are here:
>>> http://www.pcengines.ch/apu.htm. The board also has a single 16gb
>>> m-SATA SSD.
>>>
>>> OpenBSD dmesgd: http://www.nycbug.org/?action=dmesgd&dmesgid=2504
>>>
>>> I'm having trouble getting FreeBSD 10-RC2 (amd64 & i386) to boot,
>>> using memstick installer on a USB drive. Here are modifications I made
>>> to the installer image (the board has no VGA):
>>>
>>> /boot/loader.conf
>>> - -> http://pastebin.com/QVZszqMS
>>>
>>> /etc/ttys
>>> - -> http://pastebin.com/uXdXbZ02
>>>
>>> FreeBSD 10-RC2 boot message:
>>> - -> http://pastebin.com/H9402e7j
>>>
>>> The system stops responding after the last line, with no further
>>> messages.  Oddly, pfSense is booting fine, using
>>> pfSense-memstick-serial-2.1-RELEASE-amd64.img:
>>> - -> http://pastebin.com/KHyyQrCm
>>>
>>> So far, it's only FreeBSD that's having this problem. Any suggestions?
>>>
>>> Bonus pic!  http://i.imgur.com/QX63jrx.jpg (ignore the strange power
>>> connector)
>>

>> Hello Jared,
>>
>> Try adding these lines to the loader.conf file.
>> verbose_loading="YES"            # Set to YES for verbose loader
>> output
>> boot_verbose="-v"                # -v: Causes extra debugging
>> information to be printed
>>
>> Also, try getting to a shell in your pfsense system and running dmesg.  You
>> might be able to compare the output you have with the pfsense dmesg and
>> find some differences.
>
> Thanks Jim,
>
> I went ahead and added those lines.  Here is the verbose output:
>
>   http://pastebin.com/DUhrt8uP
>

>> Cheers,
>> Jim B.

This has got me stumped, but: my gut reaction is that this could be a
GPT/MBR issue, (e.g. perhaps the boot media has the disks formatted
GPT, and the board will still only deal with MBR?)  I know the PFSense
stuff is MBR all around, to maintain wide compatibility with various
hardwares.

Did 10.x move the installer media to GPT?  (/me raises my eyebrow)

--
Also, I'm officially jealous that you've snagged one of these, I'm
looking foreword to hearing real-world reports, particularly on weather

Rocket-
.ike