[nycbug-talk] APU

Jim B. jpb at jimby.name
Thu Dec 19 23:53:11 EST 2013

* Jared Davenport <jared at thegridsource.com> [2013-12-19 12:00]:

> On 12/19/2013 10:45 AM, George Rosamond wrote:
> > Jared Davenport:

> >> Good call on that.  I tried the same configuration, with FreeBSD
> >> 8.4, and it worked!
> >>
> >> FreeBSD 8.4 dmesgd:
> >> http://www.nycbug.org/?action=dmesgd&dmesgid=2505
> >>

> > Thanks for posting JD!
> >
> >> FreeBSD 9.2 and FreeBSD 10 were a no-go.  I'm still not sure why.
> >
> > Well, the obvious to me would be using mbr v gpt.
> >
> > What does the BIOS look like?  That could very much matter.
>
> That very well could be it.  The BIOS says it's coreboot 2.08.00,
> specifically, coreboot-EDK_2.08.00_20130410_221-1434-g871c820-dirty
>
> I've added the BIOS message here: http://pastebin.com/111eTfZm
>

> > also, for troubleshooting, I believe that these two should help in the
> > /etc/rc.conf:
> >
> > rc_debug="YES"
> > rc_info="YES"
> >
> > I need to get my hands on one or more of these too...

Jared,
You know, the kernel devs love info like this.  I would create a ticket on
the FreeBSD bug site.  Here's a case where the device worked at one point,
but stopped working at another point in the kernel development tree.

>From what I've seen so far, the device is booting, but it's getting
hung on the kernel device probe routines for pci devices.

FreeBSD prides itself on being able to have a continuous,  stable upgrade
path from release to release.  It's not always perfect but we do try more
that some other OSes.

Anyway, happy to hear you were able to get 8.4 working.  There's hope yet!

Best Regards,
Jim B.