[nycbug-talk] Request for Review, Summary of FreeBSD src fetching problems

Brett Wynkoop nycbug at wynn.com
Fri Feb 15 00:58:38 EST 2013

On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 15:26:53 -0500
Brian Callahan <bcallah at devio.us> wrote:

Much of Brian's very good insight and explanation of my thought process
on this issue snipped.

> FWIW, I'd take Brett's suggestion of a basesnap program and run with
> it. Fbsd should already have the infrastructure necessary to do this
> (I imagine it would be similar to "do whatever you do for portsnap in
> the ports dir, and do this for the base dir").
>
> ~Brian

Brian I am glad you get it!  I hope others will get it as well and that
the FreeBSD Project starts to mitigate the pain for users and not
increase it as has been the course the last few years.

I am about to contribute my first port, but I am also thinking of
moving to something else.  If the pain continues my ARM boards will go
to some version of GNU/Linux because I do not think any BSD is as far
along on the BeagleBone and Raspberry Pi as FreeBSD.

I think we have some folks on this list that are somewhat closer to the
center of the FreeBSD universe than I am.  Please take my ideas and
thoughts to others that have the ability to influence the direction on
the SVN debacle.

-Brett

--

wynkoop at wynn.com               http://prd4.wynn.com/wynkoop/pgp-keys.txt
917-642-6925

I would never invade the United States.  There would be a gun behind
every blade of grass.  --Isoroku Yamamoto